Hiking in Highlands, NC is a great way to spend a day. Nestled in the Southern Appalachian Mountains, The Park on Main® is near many lovely trails. As a pet-friendly hotel, The Park on Main® attracts many guests with dogs who love a trek in the outdoors. Don’t miss hiking in Highlands, NC. Before heading out, get prepared. Bringing a well-stocked hiking pack is important to having a good time. The trails are, after all, wilderness. In addition to staying hydrated on the trail, make sure you’re ready for changes in the weather and the possibility for injury.
What To Bring On Your Hike
- Water: Staying hydrated is crucial. When a hiker gets dehydrated, it can lead to dizziness, lethargy and poor decision making. Bring at least one quart of water for every two hours you expect to be gone.
- Food: Bring a snack. Hiking is exercise, and hikers get fatigued as the day wears on. Take food that is high in protein and carbohydrates. The protein keeps people feeling fuller longer; the carbohydrates are easier for the body to burn right away.
- Sun Protection: Sunburn can lead to skin cancer. All hikers should use protection such as sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat with a brim.
- First Aid Kit: When hiking on a dirt trail, injuries from fall are possible. Bring at least a small first aid kit, with alcohol swabs, bandages and gauze.
- Tools: Having a tool such as a Swiss army knife can be useful. A roll of duct tape is wise. Duct tape can be used to patch backpack tears.
- Flashlight: Remember to hike during the day; but if the hike is long, trail visibility is important.
- Emergency Shelter: Bring a tarp in case the weather changes and shelter from the elements becomes necessary.
- An Extra Layer: Having at least a sweater or windbreaker can make a hike more comfortable.
- Navigation Equipment: A map and compass are vital. A GPS unit may also be a wise investment.
- Toilet Paper and Trowel: It’s always best to be prepared if nature calls.
After a day of hiking in Highlands, NC, you’re sure to enjoy the luxury and comfort provided at The Park on Main®. Contact us today to make reservations.
Did you enjoy this post? Share it!
Categorized in: Area Attractionsblog comments powered by Disqus