Downtown on Main Street. The words, distinct semblances of Americana, conjure images of an old-fashioned era, of a friendly communion of neighborly folks united with one goal – to enjoy and engage each other in peaceful co-existence.
Downtown on Main Street – always small town, always sunny, always good country charm – seems to paint a picture of life in Mayberry, an allusion of perfect community, of a microcosm of utopian society, of what home is supposed to look like.
Witness Highlands, North Carolina. In the center of it all, in rustic, colorful, confident serenity, sits The Park on Main®, the pet-friendly hotel in … downtown on Main Street.
Although cultured, sophisticated, even intellectual, Highlands offers touches of expressive SoHo (in New York City’s Lower Manhattan), it is distinctly small town with an undeniable Main Street.
With the proud and beautiful backdrop of the Southern Appalachia Mountains as an added touch, Main Street almost gives visitors a sense that they may come upon Sheriff Taylor and Deputy Fife on their way to Floyd’s Barber Shop for a trim.
When it comes to the arts, Highlands has special bragging rights. Voted in 2013 by ArtPlace as one of America’s Top 12 Small-Town ArtPlaces, the town provides dozens of opportunities to enjoy the arts with live theater, live music, museums, art galleries, a world-class nature center and lectures.
ArtPlace America (ArtPlace) is a nonprofit organization that collaborates with foundations, federal agencies and financial institutions to elevate arts and culture in community planning and development efforts.
But why has downtown – and especially Main Street – been for generations such a hallmark tradition in the United States?
According to Main Street America™, Main Street U.S.A., proverbially speaking, holds the prominent position in community life for a number of reasons:
- Downtown areas frequently are the main commercial district and collectively employ the most people.
- Downtowns reflect the town’s image and sense of local pride.
- Downtowns are usually the best places for independent businesses.
- Downtown’s Main Street holds a historic anchor for its residents with traditionally boxed buildings providing a visual representation of the town’s past and present identity.
- The relatively compact Main Street and downtown area reduce sprawl by placing most of the town’s commerce in a central location.
- A prosperous Main Street helps sustain property values in surrounding areas.
- The commercial downtown area provides convenience with shops and stores within walking distance.
- Local government offices and the city hall are usually in the downtown area.
- Main Street and the downtown area typically host community functions and events such as parades and celebrations that help bring people together.
- The downtown area is a big investment both publicly and privately.
Discover what beautiful Highlands, North Carolina has to offer. Explore the shops, galleries and museums in the Main Street area. Find treasures in Highlands’ antique shops or do some delicious dining. Come visit us or make reservations today. Let us know how we can be of service to you by following us on our social media channels.
Did you enjoy this post? Share it!blog comments powered by Disqus